We drove the 'scenic' route back to Cancun from Chichen Itza. The toll road we took there was through the 'scrub jungle' with no on/off ramps and a 2 hour easy drive. We didn't connect with the toll road when we left so continued on the 'surface' highway. (A 5 hour drive)Here are some photos I took from the car window.
Maya families have small gardens in front of their homes and grow their own food.We saw these 3 wheeled bikes everywhere. They are used to sell local goods, as taxies and transportation for families.
The 'homes' were painted in bright colors. They looked to be only one room. I saw hammocks hanging in many of them. I am sure that is where they sit and sleep.
Along the highway we encountered this truck hauling an oversize tractor! It was mowing the edges of the road and buses and trucks coming in the opposit direction had to practically stop as they passed. We also encountered an accident of a big truck. The road was stopped. We were all out of our cars, waiting for the tow truck to work. We were the only gringos! Glad it was still light outside. However, I never did feel unsafe.
I have over 200 photos and lots of stories...A whorle wind trip of 5 days and lots of really cool experiences and memories!

No comments:
Post a Comment