Friday, November 21, 2008

What a week!

My week started out with Monday, work day at the Casa. I had to remove all of these beautiful succulents from these planters! Thankfully 3 volunteers showed up and we really worked hard. The planters drain system evidently leaks into the workshop below. That was not a good day for me. I hated removing the plants I have nurtured and didn't believe the planter was causing the leak, as I just sprinkle them, not soak with water. Turns out when the rains come that is when the water problem happens.

On Tuesday, the planters were supposed to be empty of soil, rock, etc. I was hauling wheelbarrows full of soil out of there while the City guys stood and watched!!! Then the City hired 7 workers to finish the project...(The city owns the property and the Casa foundation pays for everything except major structural/electrical tasks)


Wednesday was a tremendously fun garden work day. Garden Club has happened on to a new Jr. Gardener program. Adopting a garden at a local elementary school. Club member Kris, standing to my right, is a 'butterfly lady' and both of her children have attended the school. She wanted to give back to the school for the 10 years her children have been there. Kris and I met with the PTA who gave us $500 and teachers who planned a parent work day. The energy was high! Parents, children, teachers and garden club members, posing in the photo, turned out to help. We will plant a butterfly garden and Kris will chair the program. Garden club will contribute $200 to the program. Very exciting!
Mike keeps the SanClementeGardenClub.com website updated. There are tons of photos there under Jr. Gardeners.

Thursday, my work day at the Casa, I find out the City is going to add a 3 foot handicap sidewalk alongside the driveway entrance to the Casa. My job is to REMOVE all the plants I want to keep and place them elsewhere. I don't have a problem doing that, they are mostly succulents and easy to move. Just had enough of the City coming in as an afterthought with all these requirements! Quite different gardening than last week at Casa planting day. I like planting and maintaining gardens. Not ripping a perfectly good garden apart! OK, I have vented to you :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: