Sunday, November 16, 2008

Casa planting day


In anticipation of the San Clemente Garden Tour stop at the Casa on June 20, 2009, I was given the challenge to bring the Casa gardens up to the next level and present the Gardens of the Casa. Well, that is a big responsibility! I insisted that fall is the best time to plant and was given a budget for October and November.

Fall is the best time to plant structure/perennial plants so that their roots can establish over the winter. I planned what to plant, shopped, hauled my truck loaded many times with plants and hope all will be welcomed by the Board/Contributors...Staff, etc.

I organized a planting day for Thursday, Nov. 13. Faithful garden club members showed up along with Casa volunteers and Staff members, 17 plus. It was hugely successful! People started arriving at 8:30 am with their gloves and tools. By noon all was planted and I was cleaning up. I did not physically plant anything! Just ran around answering questions and directing. Wow! Mission accomplished!

People want to contribute to community but just need direction. I love to dig in the garden but realize that chairmanship and direction is what most volunteers need. I do both, love diging in the dirt, but sharing how and what to do is very rewarding.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: