Sunday, September 7, 2008

Landscape Design School

I spent last week attending a Landscape Design School. It is sponsored by the National Garden Club and classes are held nationwide. This one was in Temecula so I decided to delve into the design part of landscape. It was really an intense Four days of landscape design words like: Vernacular landscape, invasive plants, soil type, drainage, hardscape, garden themes, style, accessibility, are you bored yet?

How about zoning, public landscapes, proportion, scale, balance, contrast, form, line, texture, color...

Research, analysis and the synthesis process!

That was DAY ONE. I really did enjoy it and learned lots. There will be another four day session in about a year and if I pass all the tests, so far so good :) I will be certified by the NGC and can judge public landscapes, present certificates etc. on their behalf. By no means a landscape architect though, I will use a lot of the information in my daily garden encounters. And I am going to implement my newly learned design methods to plot out Nicole and Mark's new back yard on graft paper,to scale, with proper proportions etc. Watch out!

Nicole and family are about 20 minutes away from where I took the class. It was over an hour from home so I spent nights there and played with Aubrey, 4 and Garrett 2. They were so cute, running into my room in the morning to cuddle and play.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

We loved having you!!! Fair warning to anyone else who visits...my children will hunt you down like bloodhounds if you are "anywhere" to be found in the house!