We took my mom to a church camp that is located on the property that my parents donated years ago. It is around the corner, on the same acreage of the chicken ranch where I grew up.
This is a view from the house looking up the butte that I remember climbing as a child. Made imaginary forts from the existing rock formations, rolled down the upper most sand dune-if my brother and I made it that far...
The house foot print has not changed but looks different as we had a fence with yard, grass, roses and lilacs. My bedroom was on the front right where the windows are.
Desert Joshua Trees
Back door is to the right of the water heater room-white door. This big room was added later and was the Service Porch. Included laundry, 23 cubic chest freezer, cabinets for canned goods and a 1/2 bath. We lived 17 miles from town and 1 mile from the closest neighbor. Food storage was important.
View of the area where the 4 chicken houses were. One remains. They were about 50 by 100 feet in size and at one point housed 12,000 laying hens. That's lots of eggs to gather every day!
This is where David (my Brother) and I made bicycle trails over the humps and around the Joshua Trees-after the daily chicken chores were done.
Joshua Trees and desert take on a different meaning as an adult.

No comments:
Post a Comment