The third day of the project was planting seeds. After they soaked overnight, I took all the little seeds out to plant. This is a new experience for me. I have thrown a few seeds in my herb garden before, some come up, most don't. So, I am trying to do it right. Well, the wet seeds stuck to my fingers and the smallest seeds were impossible to plant 1/2 inch apart. So there are several clumps of seeds going in. Oh, well, they all don't come up anyway, right?
Here it is, my own 'square foot garden'. Each section planted with it's ID stick. I fudged a little on the square foot sections. Some of mine are 1 by 2 feet.
So, I am sitting back admiring the finished product and dreaming of veggies next weekend...
Then I thought of our night time guests that love my garden, the raccoons, opossums and daytime squirrels and an occasional rabbit. I knew they would be digging my seeds up. I had seen a couple of nose pokes in the soil from the night before.
Back on goes the thinking cap. I dug in the garage and found this black plastic netting I have used to wrap around the little peach tree to prevent the night time visitors from eating them. I made a netting to cover the entire bed and hooked
Talk about harvest time! Two days later the lettuce is popping up! and the next day the radishes are breaking ground! I am so excited. I go out several times a day (when I am home) and check it out. Maybe we will be harvesting veggies next weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment