Friday, July 16, 2010

MY birthday party

My birthday was on Thursday and that is the day I work at the Casa. Had no special plans as Mike was working in San Diego and we celebrated the night before.

My friend, Lisa, who has volunteered at the Casa for 1 1/2 years decided to throw me a surprise party. She cleared it with staff and sent emails to garden club members inviting them to stop by.

I was walking around with my clipboard making my to do list for the day.. and taken by surprise as they led me to the ocean bluff and a table with the little cake (photo) ...then informed me that others may be stopping by.
My friends just kept coming in...I couldn't believe it! A wonderful celebration for a not so big (63) birthday.

Even my special friend, Sheila, made it. We are celebrating and cherishing our time together as she battles that horrible cancer.


The next surprise of the morning!
The Casa Board of Directors happened to be in a meeting. The meeting broke up during the party and the entire board came out to congratulate me on the Gardener of the Year award. I thought they were coming out because the birthday thing was going on.
Then they announced they were establishing a 'Launa Gould Garden Fund' for the Casa! I was surprised again and couldn't even comprehend the extent of this at the moment.
Here are a couple of the board members, Bill Carson and Dave Peters. The board is in love with the gardens and so appreciative. I recently received a $1050 donation from a local group of gals that wanted their $ to go towards the gardens. This is so exciting and I am overwhelmed with the recognition and the legacy of having my work so appreciated by the Casa.
What a birthday to remember!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Michelyn said...

So cool! No surprise that they love you just as much as we do!!!!